To change things up from film quotes - book quotes! I'm counting graphic novels, poems etc as books for the purposes of making this list.
I have tried to limit reusing the same author more than once, but I have repeated a couple of my favourites as having more interesting things to quote from.
1) "And the zombies pushed up through soft earth
or erupted, shambling and dull-eyed, unstoppable,
Came towards us, the living, and we screamed and ran"
2) "He hated being thought of as one of those people that wore stupid ornamental armour. It was gilt by association"
3)"Drummer, beat and piper, blow
Harper, strike and soldier, go
Free the flame and sear the passes
Till the Dawning Red Star passes"
4) "“I've met talespinners before, Jake, and they're all cut more or less from the same cloth. They tell tales because they're afraid of life.”
5) "Coming back from the dead can be rough."
6) "An inch. It's small and it's fragile and it's the only thing in the world that's worth having."
7) "I know it is a nearly human weakness, and it may be no more than ordinary sentimentality, but I have always loved funerals. For one thing they are so clean and neat,so completely given over to ceremony,"
8) "So you have come to kill the monster? A prince of nothing, descendant of a family too cowardly to take an empire for themselves? And a poor dead thing without the sense to lay down in her grave and rot? In whose name do you dare such an endeavour?"
Astonishingly, Detlef got his line out.
9) "He has his sword and his strength and the advantage of familiar ground."
"That is so and [he] has nothing save his wit and his will. I find that fails to comfort me overmuch"
10) I laid my left hand on the rough, pebbled skin of my steed and willed it forward. The saddle lurched, and I clutched hard with my other hand to stay on.
The first few steps were the worst. The saddle sat at a sharp incline not too unlike that of a rearing horse. But as mount gathered speed, the length of her body tilted forward, until her spine was almost parallel with the ground.
I didn't know this before, but as it turns out, Tyrannosaurs can really haul ass.
11) “I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves.”
12) “If you are a student you should always get a good nights sleep unless you have come to the good part of your book, and then you should stay up all night and let your schoolwork fall by the wayside, a phrase which means 'flunk'.” (I'll accept the name of the series for this one, considering...)
13) "Dare I say I miss him? I do. I miss him. I still see him in my dreams. They are nightmares mostly, but nightmares tinged with love.I still cannot understand how he could abandon me so unceremoniously, without any sort of goodbye, without looking back even once. That pain is like an axe that chops at my heart"
14) "I have made all the preparations necessary."
"Hmph. You've been making them for *ages*. You just didn't let yourself know that was what you were doing."
"If you say so."
15) "Yet if there's no reason to live without a child, how could there be with one? To answer one life with a successive life is simply to transfer the onus of purpose to the next generation; the displacements amounts to a cowardly and potentially infinite delay. Your children's answer, presumably, will be to procreate as well, and in doing so to distract themselves, to foist their own aimlessness onto their offspring.”
16) “Prime numbers are what is left when you have taken all the patterns away. I think prime numbers are like life. They are very logical but you could never work out the rules, even if you spent all your time thinking about them.”
17) “Twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. No question, now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”
18) “Even with nougat, you can have a perfect moment.”
19) “People believe, thought Shadow. It's what people do. They believe, and then they do not take responsibility for their beliefs; they conjure things, and do not trust the conjuration. People populate the darkness; with ghost, with gods, with electrons, with tales. People imagine, and people believe; and it is that rock solid belief, that makes things happen.”
20) "You will pole this boat till WE reach that rat-man barge or I will RiP your arm off and beat you to death with it! Do I make myself clear?"And the zombies pushed up through soft earth or erupted, shambling and dull-eyed, unstoppable, Came towards us, the living, and we screamed and ran, He hated being thought of as one of those people that wore stupid ornamental armour. It was gilt by association.